Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Elias Koteas vs Christopher Meloni

My fiancee and I just watched Fallen. Kind of an interesting movie, but the most incredible thing about it is that the man in Fallen is someone named Elias Koteas:



who is, apparently, an entirely different human being than a man named Christopher Meloni:



I had watched Fallen and Law & Order: SVU a buncha times before and had never realized that these characters were two different people. That is absolutely unbelievable.

Even crazier is the fact that Elias Koteas was born 3/11/1961 and Christopher Meloni was born 4/02/1961. I'm not suggesting that they have a common mother that somehow was in labor for 528 hours before giving birth to twins that were subsequently taken from her and brought up separatetly, as acting rivals, in some sort of sinister acting cult...OK fine, that's my theory - how can you explain it??
-
-
The abridged list below shows movies that most people have seen but does not list ALL the movies/shows these epic acting powerhouses have been in. I'll bet you've been wrong, on both sides, about who they are: "that was Christopher Meloni, not Elias Koteas"; "that was Elias Koteas, not Christopher Meloni". Of course, that all presupposes that the two referenced men are, in fact, different people.

The actor who claims his name is "Elias Koteas":

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008) .... Monsieur Gateau
"CSI: NY" .... 'Joe' / ... (2 episodes, 2008)
- Veritas (2008) TV episode .... Joe
- Hostage (2008) TV episode .... 'Joe' / Douglas Anderson
Prisoner (2007) .... Jailer
Shooter (2007/I) .... Jack Payne
Zodiac (2007/I) .... Sgt. Jack Mulanax
"American Dad!" .... Jim (3 episodes, 2005-2006)
- Failure Is Not a Factory-installed Option (2006) TV episode (voice) .... Jim
- Stannie Get Your Gun (2005) TV episode (voice) .... Jim
- Homeland Insecurity (2005) TV episode (voice) .... Jim
"House M.D." .... Jack Moriarty (1 episode, 2006)
... aka "House" (South Africa: English title) (USA: short title)
- No Reason (2006) TV episode .... Jack Moriarty
"The Sopranos" .... Dominic Palladino (1 episode, 2002)
- The Strong, Silent Type (2002) TV episode .... Dominic Palladino
The Thin Red Line (1998) .... Capt. Staros
Apt Pupil (1998) .... Archie
... aka L'élève doué (Canada: French title)
... aka Un élève doué - Été de corruption (France)
Fallen (1998) .... Edgar Reese
Gattaca (1997) .... Antonio Freeman
The Prophecy (1995) .... Thomas Daggett
... aka God's Army (Europe: English title)
... aka God's Secret Army (Europe: English title)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III (1993) .... Casey Jones / Whit
Contact (1992) .... Mohannan
Look Who's Talking Too (1990) .... Stuart
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990) .... Casey Jones
... aka Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Movie (USA: long title)
... aka Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Original Movie (USA: DVD box title)

The actor who claims his name is "Christopher Meloni":

"Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" .... Detective Elliot Stabler (221 episodes, 1999-2009)
... aka "Law & Order: SVU" (USA: promotional abbreviation)
... aka "Special Victims Unit" (New Zealand: English title)
- Crush (2009) TV episode (as Chris Meloni) .... Detective Elliot Stabler
- Baggage (2009) TV episode .... Detective Elliot Stabler
- Hell (2009) TV episode .... Detective Elliot Stabler
- Ballerina (2009) TV episode .... Detective Elliot Stabler
- Lead (2009) TV episode .... Detective Elliot Stabler
(216 more)
Nights in Rodanthe (2008) .... Jack Willis
Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay (2008) (as Reverend Clyde Stanky) .... Grand Wizard
... aka Harold & Kumar 2 (Singapore: English title) (USA: working title)
BelzerVizion (2007) .... Chris Meloni
"Law & Order: Trial by Jury" .... Detective Elliot Stabler (1 episode, 2005)
- Day (2005) TV episode .... Detective Elliot Stabler
Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle (2004) .... Freakshow
... aka Harold & Kumar Get the Munchies (Europe: English title) (UK)
... aka Harold et Kumar chassent le burger (Canada: French title)
"Scrubs" .... Dr. Dave Norris (1 episode, 2003)
- My White Whale (2003) TV episode .... Dr. Dave Norris
"Oz" .... Chris Keller (38 episodes, 1998-2003)
- Exeunt Omnes (2003) TV episode .... Chris Keller
- Junkyard Dawgs (2003) TV episode .... Chris Keller
- A Day in the Death... (2003) TV episode .... Chris Keller
- 4giveness (2003) TV episode .... Chris Keller
- A Failure to Communicate (2003) TV episode .... Chris Keller
(33 more)
Wet Hot American Summer (2001) .... Gene
"Law & Order" .... Police Det. Elliott Stabler (2 episodes, 2000)
... aka "Law & Order Prime" (USA: informal title)
- Fools for Love (2000) TV episode .... Police Det. Elliott Stabler
- Entitled: Part 2 (2000) TV episode (as Chris Meloni) .... Police Det. Elliott Stabler
Runaway Bride (1999) .... Coach Bob Kelly
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998) (as Chris Meloni) .... Sven, Clerk at Flamingo Hotel
"NYPD Blue" .... Jimmy Liery (5 episodes, 1996-1997)
- My Wild Irish Nose (1997) TV episode .... Jimmy Liery
- Caulksmanship (1996) TV episode .... Jimmy Liery
- Unembraceable You (1996) TV episode .... Jimmy Liery
- Ted and Carey's Bogus Adventure (1996) TV episode .... Jimmy Liery
- Where'd the Van Gogh? (1996) TV episode .... Jimmy Liery
Twelve Monkeys (1995) .... Lt. Halperin

13 comments:

Design4u2c said...

Watching Combat Hospital. Koteas not only looks like an older Meloni, but sounds exactly like him.

frogprof said...

WHEW. I thought I was the only one who saw the "resemblance"!! Thank you for confirming -- despite my brother's best efforts -- that I am not completely crazy.
Yet.

Tracy said...

When I see a picture of each of them together, I see slight differences, but I too thought they were one in the same person all these years!!! I'm kind of relieved though, because it always creeped me out that my buddy, Detective Stabler could be so evil and creepy on Fallen! I gotta say I'm really bummed out that Chris Meloni won't be coming back to Law & Order SVU. How can you break up such a great team as Benson and Stabler??????

David Grenier said...

Elias Koteas was a minor character in Some Kind of Wonderful - the best of John Hughes 80s teen movies. For the first few years SVU was out, I swore up and down that Meloni was Koteas. It wasn't until one time I actually watched the show (rather than the commercials) and saw the credits that I realized they weren't the same guy.

STRAIGHTPOWER said...

I thought that Christopher Meloni and Elias Koteas where the same person FOR YEARS AND YEARS. They both even appeared in subsequent Harold and Kumar films. So, all this time the Law and Order dude WASN'T Casey Jones. Wow. THEY ARE BOTH JUST MESSING WITH OUR HEADS.

Nate Dawg said...

Wow...All these years I could've sworn the guy that played Casey Jones in Ninja Turtles was in fact the same actor on OZ. But I guess I've also been fooled by the Koteas/Meloni simularities.

Margie said...

I started watching a movie called The 4th Kind and I thought the doctor was Christopher Meloni! He has the same facial expression, his movements are the same- but he looked a little "rounder" in the face - so I looked at the credits and it is Elias Koteas! Amazing resemblance.

Barbie said...

I just had the same experience with the movie the forth kind. And a few months ago watching a couple other movies with koteas! Every time I see him I say oh it's Elliot! But just now tonight found out they are 2 different men. I did notice that koteas has a pointier nose than Elliot's very Italian round nose but though my eyes were just playing tricks on me. I have seen every episode of SVU ever made and now I'm wondering why the producers didn't get koteas to take the role of Elliot stabler when melon I left..... As for a theory. Mine involves identicle twin sisters and one sleezy man. I'm sure you get my drift. I wonder if they think they look as much alike as the rest of the world thinks.

Joseph Doncell said...

No coincidence they have both been in a Harold & Kumar movie huh?

Joseph Doncell said...

No coincidence they have both been in a Harold & Kumar movie, huh?

Franklin said...

I did not realize they were both in the same movie. Can that happen? Wouldn't it create a black hole?

Joseph Doncell said...

Not the same one, Chris was in the 1st one as a tow truck driver named Freakshow. Elias was in the 3rd movie as a psychotic Russian gangster/mob boss.

Patience said...

I had watched several seasons of SVU. My first time to think that one was the other was "Combat Hospital". To me Koteas looked like an older version of Meloni. Then I watched "Fallen". The resemblance was even more striking. Like others have commented, glad I'm not the only one.